Have you not met some memorable human beings who stand out like a shining light amidst a sea of the average and mediocre?
In every commune in the world where people gather, be it companies, organisations or the world, there are a select few that carry a distinct brand. They are remarkable. They stand out. And who they are and/ or what they say is easily remembered long after the event or the context is forgotten. These rare individuals are always the most valued and singled out for favour.
Perhaps you are one of them. Perhaps you aspire to be one of them. So, what do these people bring to the table? I am constantly on the look-out for the common thread that binds such exceptional humans.
Here are 12 signs I have noticed:
- They are present, engaged and energetic: This is the single most important hallmark of those who stand out from the crowd. They are “on” when it matters most.
- They have valuable, actionable expertise: When they reveal their head, heart or hand, you feel enriched. They leave people, situations and organisations better than they found them.
- They have positions on issues: No “middle-of-the-road” for them…they have the guts to take a stand (a well-thought out one) and stand by it in the face of opposition.
- They possess clarity and lend it freely: They are masters at clearing the haze and getting to the heart of the matter. Suddenly, there is light in the room.
- They have the power of crystallization & condensation: They can boil down complexity into simplicity. They use the minimum-effective-dose when it comes to putting ideas into words.
- They have a signature style: When it comes to the way they dress, speak or generally conduct themselves, there are no accidents. It’s all carefully crafted. Their unique stamp is distinctly recognizable.
- They transfer value to others: They make you feel important and special. You leave them feeling richer and nourished.
- They elevate the game: By displaying a higher standard of excellence, they gently shift the vibration in their vicinity to a higher level. You can’t help but play a better game when they are with you.
- They inspire, either directly – thru their words, or indirectly – thru who they are.
- They are authentic: Part of their confidence comes from their deep self-awareness about what they are and what they are not.
- They are masters of effortless action: They are so good at what they do that it looks amazingly simple and easy.
- They are possibility thinkers & future-oriented: In matter of vision and attitude, they are forward-looking. The only use they have for the past is to derive lessons from it. Not regret. Not self-pity. Not blame.
How indispensable are you?
Evaluate on a scale of 1 to 10 your own “Stand-out from the herd” score.
Identify what you are good at, and where you need to do better.
Then create a plan to improve your score on each of the 12 signs.