How do you recognize a true class-act – one who is a valuable player, and influencer in any organization, team or industry?
You will notice these signs around them:
- People flock to them
- Others seek out their opinions and highly value their inputs
- They are experts
- They are masters at working with people
- They can predict the future
- They produce results
- They are natural leaders
- They are more about principles, than about techniques
- Their judgment is always respected, regardless of whether it is accepted.
So how do these class-acts end up in such an enviable place?
Here are the common characteristics I have noticed in all valuable players that I have come across.
- They are solution-oriented
- They have a penchant and inclination for training and coaching
- They have unique perspectives and positions
- They constantly build a reputable body of work (and results)
- They are constantly updating and renewing their knowledge and expertise
- They are constantly re-inventing themselves
- They are agile and nimble
- They keep themselves relevant in the face of disruption and change
- They bring energy and vitality to the table
- They actively contribute at every opportunity (in meetings, in project groups etc.)
- They are givers
- They dig for new ideas. And then give a shot at implementing them
- They learn to present and speak well
- They are into mentorship (giving and receiving)
- They think about delegating and building more leaders
- They seek work and projects that challenge their abilities
- They place themselves strategically in the organization and industry and reputation-wise, so they can tap into future opportunities and trends.